Current:Home > MyIran says Saudi Arabia has expelled 6 state media journalists ahead of the Hajj after detaining them -Capitatum
Iran says Saudi Arabia has expelled 6 state media journalists ahead of the Hajj after detaining them
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 07:27:37
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Iran said Wednesday that Saudi Arabia expelled six members of a crew from its state television broadcaster after they had been detained for nearly a week in the kingdom ahead of the Hajj. Saudi Arabia said the men had been working in violation of the visas they received.
The incident comes a year after Riyadh and Tehran reached a Chinese-mediated detente. However, there have been tensions for decades between the Sunni and Shiite powerhouses over the holy sites in the kingdom, particularly around the upcoming Hajj pilgrimage.
Iranian state TV described the arrests as beginning over a week ago when three crew members were detained while recording a Quranic reading at the Prophet Muhammad’s mosque in Medina. It offered no detail about what sparked their detention, but said the men after “several hours of questioning” ended up held at a police detention center.
Two days after that, Saudi police detained a journalist from Iran’s Arabic-language Al Alam channel and another state TV journalist after they got out of a car to attend a prayer service with Iranian pilgrims, state TV said. Another radio journalist was detained at a hotel in Medina.
It said the six men later were released and expelled to Iran without the opportunity to take part in the Hajj, a pilgrimage required of all able-bodied Muslims once in their lives. The expulsion came after efforts by both state TV and Iran’s Foreign Ministry to have the men released. Iranian state TV insisted the men committed no crime and that their detention was unwarranted.
“They were carrying out their normal and routine task when this happened and they were arrested,” said Peyman Jebeli, the head of Iran’s state broadcaster, known as Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting. “We are not aware of the reason they were arrested and sent back to the country.”
Saudi Arabia’s Center for International Communication told The Associated Press early Thursday that the Iranians detained had been in the kingdom on visas only allowing them to perform the Hajj, not work as journalists.
They “engaged in activities that are incompatible with the type of visas granted to them in violation of the kingdom’s residency regulations,” the center said.
Both Iran and Saudi Arabia are considered “not free” under rankings by the Washington-based organization Freedom House, with scores of zero in their metric on whether a country has a free and independent press.
Iran, the largest Shiite Muslim country in the world, and Sunni powerhouse Saudi Arabia severed diplomatic ties in 2016 after Saudi Arabia executed prominent Saudi Shiite cleric Nimr al-Nimr. Angry Iranians protesting the execution stormed two Saudi diplomatic missions in Iran.
Last year, Chinese mediation restored ties despite Saudi Arabia still being locked in a yearslong stalemated war with Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen.
Saudi Arabia had previously severed ties with Iran from 1988 to 1991 over rioting during the Hajj in 1987 and Iran’s attacks on shipping in the Persian Gulf. That diplomatic freeze saw Iran halt pilgrims from attending the Hajj in Saudi Arabia. Iranian pilgrims briefly were stopped from attending Hajj over the most-recent round of tensions as well.
Iran has insisted in the past that its pilgrims be allowed to hold large-scale “disavowal of infidels” ceremonies — rallies denouncing Israel and Saudi ally the United States. Saudi Arabia bans such political demonstrations at Hajj, which is attended by about 2 million Muslims from around the world.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Not-so-great expectations: Students are reading fewer books in English class
- What is the best used SUV to buy? Consult this list of models under $10,000
- A man accused of stalking UConn star Paige Bueckers is found with an engagement ring near airport
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Ina Garten Reveals Why She Nearly Divorced Jeffrey Garten During Decades-Long Marriage
- Kate Hudson Shares How She's Named After Her Uncle
- A federal courthouse reopens in Mississippi after renovations to remove mold
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Nebraska man sentenced for impersonating 17-year-old high school student: Reports
Ranking
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- A teen inmate is bound over for trial in a Wisconsin youth prison counselor’s death
- A Southern California man pleads not guilty to setting a fire that exploded into a massive wildfire
- San Francisco 49ers WR Deebo Samuel to miss a couple weeks with calf injury
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- All Amazon employees will return to the office early next year, says 'optimistic' CEO
- Tate Ratledge injury update: Georgia OL reportedly expected to be out several weeks
- 'He didn't blink': Kirk Cousins defies doubters to lead Falcons' wild comeback win vs. Eagles
Recommendation
Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
WNBA's Caitlin Clark Celebrates Boyfriend Connor McCaffery's Career Milestone
Q&A: Near Lake Superior, a Tribe Fights to Remove a Pipeline From the Wetlands It Depends On
Judge tosses Ken Paxton’s lawsuit targeting Texas county’s voter registration effort
Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
A Harvest Moon reaches peak illumination tonight: When to look up
Why RHOSLC's Heather Gay Feels Like She Can't Win After Losing Weight on Ozempic
Detroit Red Wings sign Lucas Raymond to 8-year contract worth more than $8M per year